Max Yoder (@maxyoder), is the Co-Founder and CEO of Lessonly, a team training software company. He’s also the author of Do Better Work, a foundational book for any leader that focuses on the whole human approach.
In this episode, you’ll hear Max’s advice on how YOU can model excellence for your employees. As leaders, we have to ‘walk the walk’ – a walk that inspires the rest of our crew to greatness. As Max says, if we learn to love ourselves and to think of ourselves as someone who can make an impact on others simply by existing and behaving in certain ways, the whole world gets better.
Truth You Can Act On:
- We’re all human. We have to model the behaviors we want to see, but we also have to realize that we aren’t going to be perfect models. We are going to fall down; we are going to make mistakes.
- Share before you’re ready. Iterate early and often. Instead of doing something and perfecting it in a vacuum, draft up a bulleted outline or a rough idea of where you want to go with a project, and then share it with the people who will ultimately benefit from these ideas in the end.
- Get agreements. It’s difficult to communicate clearly sometimes. Either we don’t want to put in the effort or we assume the other person knows what we need. If you get an agreement, you’re not leaving things up for assumption. So, if you want somebody to do something, make it clear what you want. Ask them if they can agree to that and if they say ‘yes,’ now you have a common ground to stand on.
- What fires you up on Mondays? For Max, his purpose in life is to inspire and motivate people in a loving way. Check out your schedule and see what opportunities you have throughout your day, week, and month to get your people excited.
- The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt