Kathleen Quinn Votaw (@quinn_votaw) is the CEO of TalenTrust, a professional services firm that uses the “People Puzzle” approach to help executives and human resource teams strengthen culture and drive employee engagement.
TalenTrust works with mid-market and enterprise companies to help overcome the talent shortage in today’s job market. With 6.9 million open jobs and only 6.2 million job candidates, the tides have changed. In Kathleen’s words, “You don’t pick them as an employer. They pick you as an employee.”
Because of this, human resource roles are evolving. Recruitment has become a sales and marketing process. If you don’t adjust, you’re in for a rough ride. Fortunately, Kathleen is here to help. Listen in to hear her “recruitment strategy 2.0” for attracting talent in today’s job market.
Truth You Can Act On:
- Redefine HR leaders. Your HR leaders must be strategic thinkers. Not only that, but they also need to be involved and aligned with C-Suite decision-making processes. Gone are the days of HR working quietly on administrative tasks in the background. If you want to recruit top talent, HR leaders cannot continue as mere service providers. They must become functional experts.
- Develop a purposeful employment brand.Most companies spend a lot of time, energy, and money making sure brand messaging is dialed in with clients. But when it comes to job candidates, branding is just an afterthought. Don’t make this mistake. Identify your candidate population, show them they matter, and craft a targeted message that connects with them. Show them who you are as a company and what you stand for.
- Optimize your onboarding. Don’t confuse “orientation” with “onboarding”. Onboarding starts from the very first touch. Your goal is to make a candidate want to work with you so bad, they are going to make it happen no matter what. When they accept the job, your onboarding should progress into a 6-month integration—with multiple meaningful engagements along the way.
- Measure engagement. According to Gallup, only 27% of workers in the US are engaged. What do these numbers look like in your organization? In order to retain talent, you must be brave enough to know where you stand in terms of engagement.
- The Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh
- Purple Ink– Purple Ink’s customized HR services will help you make your workspace JoyPowered. Whether you’re looking for help with recruiting, compliance, or leadership training, they listen to what you need and tailor their solutions to you. And look for The JoyPowered Workspace Podcast wherever you listen to podcasts!