Jason Ells is the Senior Vice President of Custom Concrete. Founded in 1969, the company specializes in foundations for residential homes, commercial buildings, and industrial facilities. Jason is responsible for developing strategic sales, marketing, and business development plans based on organizational goals that will promote sales growth, positive branding, and new business for the company. He’s been with the organization for nearly 20 years.
Jason wants Custom Concrete to be a “destination employer.” He equips his workforce with unique benefits such as wellness coaching, financial literacy courses, and a mobile app designed to foster stronger internal communication. He believes empowering employees for success starts from day one.
His motto is simple: he loves concrete, he loves people, and he embraces thriving in a world surrounded by both. Jason is constantly focused on discovering and implementing new systems to make the business more efficient while increasing quality. He believes in the power of supplementing relationship building with data. By utilizing analytics while making decisions, he’s better able to validate what he calls his “gut instincts.”
Truth You Can Act On:
- Showcase Your Company As A Career: If you treat your employees as expendable commodities, they will treat your business in a similar fashion. Consider hiring a dedicated onboarding coordinator to set the tone early for employees: they are valuable to your business, so much that you will invest in their career long-term.
- Play The Numbers Game: Experience breeds a trust in “going with your gut,” but don’t make all crucial decisions based on feel. Modern technology is capable of producing a plethora of data and analytics. Embrace these tools to make more informed decisions that will benefit your sustained growth and mitigate risk.
- Don’t Overlook Onboarding: You’ve succeeded in hiring a new employee, but the real work hasn’t even begun. A stale, uninteresting, and disengaged onboarding process will turn away even the best hires. Strive to empower a culture of positive vulnerability, allowing new hires to express their feelings quickly and accurately.
- Integrate Creative Communication: It’s true: it’s now quicker and easier to communicate in the modern world than ever. This idea of quantity, however, doesn’t necessarily dictate quality or honesty. Access pain points in your communication channels and be creative when identifying the best solutions.
Nikki’s Book Recommendation:
- LHD Benefits – LHD is a full-service employee benefits firm, that empowers their clients to make the best possible decisions for their employees — to define optimal objectives, monitor outcomes, improve health, and engage and advocate for employees and their loved ones.
- Titus – in their conversations with CEOs and hiring managers, they hear frustration with traditional recruiting. From outrageous fees to focusing on candidates before clients, the process was broken and needed to be fixed. Enter Titus Talent. Titus Talent Strategies serves its clients using passionate people, a proven process, and unparalleled performance.