Scott Miller is the President of Bowman Construction Co. Inc. Founded in 1895, the locally owned and operated company focuses on general contracting, value engineering possibilities, design and build options, and concrete and carpentry services. Their mission: to remain committed to building long-term relationships with customers based on integrity, performance, value, and client satisfaction.
According to Scott, it’s crucial for businesses to push for all employees to truly engage in the holistic success of the company. He believes that companies should establish environments where employees treat the business as if it’s their own by fostering emotional investment in the idea of gross profit. Enlightened financial knowledge and transparency results in empowered employees making smarter decisions.
It’s not all about numbers. Scott believes in the simple idea of likability: people tend to do more business with whom they have established a positive relationship. He constantly looks for likability factors when hiring new employees and securing contracts to make sure these new relationships are proper cultural fits.
Truth You Can Act On:
- Invest Individuals in Team Results: If your employees don’t understand why their individual contributions matter, they won’t buy into the overall goals of your business. By educating your staff on your business’ dollars and cents, you’ll increase accountability and personal ownership.
- Factor in Likability: It’s a simple truth in personal circles: most people associate with people they like. This also bodes true in the sales world – most people prefer to buy from people they like. Don’t get overly caught up in developing the hard skills of your employees. Empowering their likability will reap great dividends.
- Instigate Proactive Conversations: Don’t wait to call meetings together until there is a cultural crisis. Find out what your employees need help with – today, tomorrow, this week, this month, etc. By knowing what pain points are holding back your employees, you can find the best solutions for fostering success.
- Connect with Stories: All employees are human beings. Establish a culture that cares about employees outside the walls of your business. Learn about their families, hopes, and dreams. By enhancing the emotional DNA of your organization, you will attract incredible employees and clients.
Nikki’s Book Recommendation:
- Against Empathy: The Case for Rational Compassion by Paul Bloom
- Emplify – Are you still using pulse surveys? How about annual questionnaires? If your organization relies on either of these, it’s time to discover Emplify. Emplify has created a new way to measure employee engagement. It’s where CEOs who want to know what’s really happening within a workforce go… to get honest feedback… and to understand what needs to change for people to love their work using simple and trustworthy data.
- Purple Ink – Purple Ink’s customized HR services will help you make your workspace JoyPowered. Whether you’re looking for help with recruiting, compliance, or leadership training, they listen to what you need and tailor their solutions to you. And look for The JoyPowered Workspace Podcast wherever you listen to podcasts!