Andy Medley is the CEO and co-founder of PERQ, a company focused on creating meaningful engagement between consumers and brands. He has built his explosive brand by focusing on hiring highly talented contributors and helping each of them reach their true potential.
For Andy, the key to developing strong leadership is trust. He believes trust allows for healthy debate, and healthy debate allows for the logical answer to win. It’s essential to have leadership who you trust to stand up for their opinion, yet put their ego aside and admit when they are wrong.
Through his experience building a fast-growing company, Andy has learned important insights about building a “fun” company culture. He’s done this by running his business like a game, which doesn’t mean it’s not serious or unimportant. Taking his approach builds a culture of champions and a winning together mentality. .For him, fun is a byproduct of smart people being in a room solving problems. It’s not the goal.
Truth You Can Act On:
- Schedule a 45-Day Check-In: Do a 1-on-1 check-in with new employees to get feedback on their experience with the onboarding process. Sitting down with them, listening to what they have to say, and building a relationship will make a huge impact on their satisfaction.
- Gamify Your Business: Using an Open Book Management style is a great way to help employees get educated on foundation business principles. This approach will instill ownership by helping them understand the financials of the business, how the business runs, and how they play a part in its success.
- Practice Transparency: Transparency fuels accountability. This can be accomplished by posting scoreboard and stating goals for all to hear. Doing so will breed a feedback-driven environment where everyone is holding each other accountable.
- Build A Culture Club: Have a team of employees (apart from leadership) come together on a routine basis to come up with new ideas, get input from other employees, and make decisions around employee events. Have them brainstorm ways your company is going to give, options to get involved in the community, and new ways of learning and improving your company culture.
Nikki’s Book Recommendations:
- High Output Management by Andrew Grove
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things by Ben Horowitz
- High Growth Handbook by Elad Gil
- Titus – In our conversations with CEOs and hiring managers, we hear they are frustrated with traditional recruiting… From outrageous fees to focusing on candidates before clients, the process was broken and needed to be fixed. Enter Titus Talent. Titus Talent Strategies serves its clients using passionate people, a proven process, and unparalleled performance. Oh, did we mention they guarantee the PERFORMANCE of their candidates for 12 months?
- Custom Concrete – Custom Concrete has been creating foundations for the finest homes, commercial buildings and industrial facilities throughout Central Indiana since 1969. Builders, contractors, and homeowners rely on our expertise because so much depends on getting it right. Our knowledge and control of all aspects of the job, from excavation to waterproofing to backfill, means that extra value is built into every project. Codes don’t drive our business, excellence does. See the difference at customeconcrete.com